|| MIDA Tutorial
Mapping and finding information on protected areas in Co. Kerry
This tutorial gives an example of how
you can find, view and download geospatial data from the MIDA
for a project. Imagine that you are doing a project and need
to collect geospatial data on all of the protected areas in
1. From the home
page click on "Go to Atlas."
2. Click on "Go to Atlas" once again to get into the interactive map.
the theme of interest:
3. "Select Theme" by pulling down the menu and then clicking on "Protected Areas" to display all the layers in relation to this topic.
4. All of the protected areas will automatically appear in the
list of layers on the left side of the window, below the folder
called "Management". Notice that the layers are not displayed
in the map, and the small boxes next to the layer names just
added appear blank.
You can choose the layers to be displayed by clicking on the checkbox beside a layer's name, which turns them on or off.
and identifying a map feature:
5. Click on the
tab in the information box section. From here pull down the
"Select region" menu and select county Kerry.
6. Individual protected areas may be
queried by clicking on the identify
map feature tool and then clicking on a point in the map.
As a result, a map and table will appear
in a new window to give you information on the map feature or
features you selected.
Information on the topic:
7. In the layer list click on "Natural
Heritage Areas" and then click on the
icon in the information box to get text and image information
regarding the topic.
8. You can navigate through this information page by clicking on the five different categories. A printable version is also available from this window.
9. In order to integrate the data displayed
in your own map you must download the underlying GIS data. Click
on the download icon data
for the Republic of Ireland. This will direct you to the owner's
website from where the GIS data may be downloaded. For some
datasets, it is possible to download the data directly from
the MIDA site.
Well done! You have successfully completed
Comments? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.